Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Word From Our Parade Chair

I can still vividly remember the day that I found out that I had been chosen as the parade chair for Ball State Homecoming 2013. I was so excited! The parade was my favorite part of homecoming my freshman year so I was pumped to be planning it my sophomore year. I was a little nervous going into the first committee meeting but as soon as I walked in the room, I knew that these people were going to be great people to work with. When we started planning and choosing a theme, October seemed so far away. The parade seemed like an event sometime in the very distant future that was just in my imagination. Now, the start of Homecoming week is less than two weeks away and our time together as a committee is almost over.
I’ve had so many great experiences while being a part of the Steering Committee. If I had to pick a favorite part though, it would probably be the overall experience. Being able to be a part of such an important event at Ball State has been really cool. Through that, I’ve gotten to meet a lot of awesome people, like my fellow committee members. It’s hard to believe that one year ago we didn’t know each other and now we’ve sat in meetings together, debated themes, aggravated each other, helped each other out and ultimately made it through this crazy seven months of planning together.
The parade is, in my non-biased opinion of course, is the best part of homecoming week. It brings together Ball State Students, staff, alumni, and the Muncie community. It’s a great way for all Ball State fans, students and community members alike, to boast their Cardinal Pride. We are also including a student section this year to give Ball State students a place to enjoy the parade and get pumped up for the football game together. There will be free doughnuts provided by Marsh and free Ball State Homecoming toboggan hats. WCRD will also be there to provide entertainment. The goal is that this area of the parade will be an area where students can enjoy the parade and help to create a spirited atmosphere.
You’ve probably started to hear lots about homecoming, but there’s a good reason. Homecoming is one of Ball State’s greatest traditions and is a week full of awesome activities (most of which are free)! The more involved you get, the more memories you’ll have to look back on! I know I can speak for the whole committee when I say that we hope to see you at lots of events during Homecoming week! Go Cards!

              

No comments:

Post a Comment